Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Stick Stew

When I first started this blog one of my first recipes was stick stew, I have been reminded by my Grandson that that recipe is no longer there.  So here it is again.

.
We were going on a camping trip with our Grandson who had lived most of his 10 years in the city, so we thought a genuine camp out would memorable.  Little did we know how memorable it would be.  We were right away informed of the foods that he didn't like which were most of the things we had brought with us.  So I decided to put together a camp stew.  I am not really going to have a list of ingredients as per normal, this story is more about procedure.  First off using a camp kettle that resembled something like a Halloween brew kettle I added some beef stew meat about 2 pounds and browned this meat thoroughly over a roaring campfire in the big kettle once the meat was browned I added a quart of V-8 juice 4 potatoes cut up a chopped onion some sliced carrots and set this to slow boil.  After about a half hour it was time to stir this stew grabbed a nearby stick whipped it clean and stirred the stew.  Well by now Phillip had experienced some of our unique ways o f doing things.  Right away he asked if we going to eat this stew, I told him yes and he informed me that he wouldn't eat any stew that had been stirred with a stick. Since he stew was boiling hot I figured that the stick had been thoroughly sterilized it would be OK.  When it came time for supper Phillip relented and enjoyed the stew.  Phillip is now and adult with a family of his own and has no problem with stick stew.
.
This is my story and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment