Sunday, April 8, 2012

HEALTHY FRIED POTATOES

Fried Potatoes have for years been associated with UN-healthy fatty foods.  This is for good reason, cooks for years have used a lot of oil mostly (BACON GREASE) in their skillets to fry potatoes looking for that brown crispiness.  Well my version browns the potatoes and leaves them crispy plus healthy.  A medium sized potato is roughly 75 calories. I use extra virgin olive oil (sparingly) in this case about 3o calories. this recipe uses two potatoes and a 1/4 tsp olive oil


.
The way I do it is:
I dice two potatoes with peeling left on. place the diced potatoes in a qt zip lock bag add the 1/4 tsp Extra-virgin olive oil, close the bag up, mix up the potatoes and oil make sure that all potatoes are covered.  Now empty the potatoes covered in oil,add salt and pepper into your skillet and cook with medium heat making sure all sides are brown by turning them over frequently .  Now you have a good healthy fried potatoes.


.
This same method can be used for hash browns as well. You can add chopped onion and green pepper in the same manner and have potatoes "O'Brien".

.
Try this and you will find that fried potatoes are just fine to have as an alternate side dish.

4 comments:

  1. I love these
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to try this once I find the spray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not "O'Bren", but "O'Kasinger".....I will try this out on Karl & Kreg! (Kreg is our son who lives with us.) Thanks, Mike! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! What was I talking about 'spray'? I am going to try this when I can figure out how to avoid the splatter factor...

    ReplyDelete