Thursday, May 17, 2012

15 year Old Gravy

Shortly after I graduated from High School many years ago.  I went to work for the Forest Service in the Southern Cascades of Washington.  My brother was staying with a couple of Hill Billy cousins near the job, I was invited to stay there also.  Since my job didn't start for a few weeks I was ready to start experiencing life, and boy did I get a dose at that place.  The cousins were bachelor brothers and Thurlow the older brother was a lumberjack, the younger brother Harley had at one time also worked in the woods, until he was injured so he stayed home and did the cooking, the cleaning was done by no-one sooo life there was interesting to say the least. for this story I will only mention the food.
Every morning Harley would fix breakfast for brother Thurlow before he went to work which consisted of Bacon, ham, eggs, Pancakes or biscuits and gravy.  The gravy is the subject of this story,I have always had an interest in food preparation so I watched very closely how Harley made the gravey.
.
This is the way it was made it, he added enough flour to the bacon-ham grease to soak-up all the grease then added some kind of milk (I never knew what kind, I was afraid to ask) stired this up until thickened and the added the new gravy to the old in the bowl Yum!! I then couriously asked how long he had been doing gravy this way and he smiled and said oh about 15 years.  Wellll I like gravey but that certainly put he skids to any gravey there.  Some of that gravy was 15 year Old
If you have enjoyed this little story let me know because I spent that first summer with Turlow and Harley and had many experiences with them.
Mike

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the recipe for sour dough bread. Made me hungry for my Moms biscuits and gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding? More Harley and Turlow, please!

    ReplyDelete